Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Birthday Week - Over at Last!


I spent a wonderful birthday weekend at the beach with my love. And it was amazing.

We did pretty much absolutely nothing.

Which was the goal and prime objective.

My girl spent hours in the sun (compared to my 10 minutes over three days). Sure, she laughs at my whiteness - but I’m Irish and supposed to be white!

It’s hard to remember that as a competitive swimmer I used to spend 4 hours a day each summer in the outdoor pool from age 6 to 23. Of course, the winter was spent in an indoor pool – but Summer, well that was for OUTSIDE. And then all those years of being the head lifeguard at the Racquet Club baking, no, roasting, in the sun. We didn’t use sunscreen back in the day, we used OIL to darken our hue.

So in answer to her question – “Yea, I can get REAL brown”.

But at some point, it got to be a problem. Lots of sun spots and freckles and then the realization that if I didn’t stop I would turn into something hard and leathered.

So I just said no to the sun.

But I do so love the beach. We were 200 feet in the air and would open the sliding glass door and listen to the waves wash ashore in the night. We walked on the beach and let that cold-ass water hit our feet and legs. We laughed, we loved and we just WERE.

And isn’t that the best. Just “being”.

I think so.

It’s so good to get away and have some adult time with absolutely no distractions what so ever.

And it sure is good to be away with someone you L-O-V-E!!!

My love and I are very comfortable together now. And like anything else in this world, it’s been a process.

With something as complex and all consuming as love, it is not unexpected that people move slowly – not quite trusting that it could really be this good. We’ve all been burned and it’s only natural to think that nothing lasts.

But when it’s the one, when it’s real……..well that’s a whole new ballgame.

As seriously flawed humans, we know that ego wounds heal very slowly and so we’re very careful not to extend too much.

But when you find that one person that you can really give yourself to – everything is different. It’s brighter and more colorful. We stop thinking about defeat and failure as a sign that we’re not loveable enough for anyone. We can finally stop analyzing everything and everyone we associate our love with.

We can simply “BE”. We don’t have to pretend anything and we can just let it all hang out (to borrow an overused 60’s phrase).

I have learned that nothing in our love can justify the attempt to analyze or anticipate things that may go wrong or not go our way. All you have to do is wait for something to happen and deal with it in a loving manner and you find that everything works out fine.

Love is patient and love is kind. It’s actually true.

That’s not to say that the people who love each other don’t get mad at each other. But no score is kept. No one holds something against the other one. It’s simply life and how it is lived that matters.

The quality of life is amazing when you love.

So I hope everyone else enjoyed my birthday celebration week as much as I did. My girl got me a beautiful ring and told me that we were officially “going steady” now.

So count me as happy.

Hope you are too!

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home