Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Friends for Life

I love living in the town in which I grew up.

I know so many people. My girlfriend reminds me often that I can't go anywhere without stopping to talk with someone.

And I love that. I know who does what and who does who. I am old enough to have survived all the stuff and seen the good, the bad and the UGLY.

I've been to tragic funerals of my contemporaries that give you pause to reflect on your own life.

But this life is as warm as a third-generation quilt on a cool evening. And I wouldn't trade it for the world.

In thinking about all my friends that have done well, I think the most surprising of those is Robert St. John.

Everyone loves Robert - always have. I swear to you that I don't know one person that has an adverse opinion of him. He was always a good time party boy. And the first one of us to go into rehab.

And that was something like a hundred years ago.

And he came out and became the most successful of all of us. He has several very successful restaurants and publishes books like I trim my nose hair (which is to say much more often than I used to). If you ever get the chance, just go to the Purple Parrot in Hattiesburg, MS and order the chef's tasting menu (with paired wine) and expect to be amazed.

So I want to invite each of you to follow Robert in his blog at:

www.nobodyspoet.blogspot.com

Granted, this is published in something like 50 newspapers all over, but you can get it here each and every Monday before it gets published anywhere. I think you will find him entertaining and enlightening.

And which of us doesn't need a little of that each week.

Yep, friends forever.........

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home