Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Bob Dylan Revisited - A Tale of Going and Coming


My love is no fan of Bob Dylan. She says his music is not to her liking and it doesn't help that she doesn't understand what he's either saying or if she can understand what he's saying, she has no idea why he's saying it.

Which is how Bob is taken in the world. You either love him immensely or you don't get him.

I hold her no ill will for her position.

Case in point though - we were headed down to the beach late on Friday night. We had been talking and talking about all kinds of stuff while listening to the Sirius radio. When about 90 miles into our trip, Bob's voice came through the speakers singing my personal favorite - "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)".

So I start softly singing all the words and after a few minutes I look over at my love - yep, she's snoring. Went right to sleep just as soon as Bob started singing.

I just smiled and kept on singing.

I have quit trying to make her understand Bob. It's just one of those things I'm not going to worry about.

Now fast forward to the return trip on Monday afternoon:

We haven't been going but about 10 minutes when Bob came on again. He started singing "Positively 4th Street" and I braced for her to ask me to change the station because it was in no way nite-nite time.

But instead, she just sat there, listening.

Then she started laughing.

Then she laughed more and more and more.

She listened to the end of the song and declared that she had never heard a song like that before and she might just like her some Bob Dylan if he had anymore like that one.

I just beamed thinking (to myself) that all any of us ever need is just a small trickle of Bob before we are hooked.

So stay tuned, and I'll let you know how this all turns out...............

In the meantime, I'll include the lyrics from that song - which happens to be the angriest song ever sung (at least until Allanis got out her "jagged little pill").

Peace


POSITIVELY 4th STREET - Bob Dylan

You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side that's winning

You say I let you down
You know it's not like that
If you're so hurt
Why then don't you show it

You say you lost your faith
But that's not where it's at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

I know the reason
That you talk behind my back
I used to be among the crowd
You're in with

Do you take me for such a fool
To think I'd make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he don't know to begin with

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, "How are you?" "Good luck"
But you don't mean it

When you know as well as me
You'd rather see me paralyzed
Why don't you just come out once
And scream it

No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps I'd rob them

And now I know you're dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Don't you understandIt's not my problem

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is
To see you

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Paige, I don't like the boy either. Sorry KK, but he sounds like he's in pain when he sings, which makes me in pain. So glad ya'll had a wonderful time doing "nothing" at the beach.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

See what doors a patient love can open? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Lady Love ... and I'll start keeping a list of "she might like this Bob."

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady Love has just never heard "Just Like a Woman". Bless her heart, she slept thru Bob?? Tell her to listen to him as though she were listening to a slurring drunk and maybe then a light bulb will go off!! Not that she's ever experienced that, mind you. I am going to the Beach on Memorial Day for the week and I am looking forward to a little R&R myself. So glad you all could get away!

Love ya, Debi

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home