Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rock and Roll

I got the opportunity to watch all 3 1/2 hours of uninterupted coverage of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony last night.

And it was good.

I got to see the crazy drunk/stoned speaches and some very funny and some not so funny stuff.

And the music was very cool.

The Ventures just rocked the house. So did John Mellencamp. And Iggy and the Stooges did a couple of Madona songs that were much more to my taste than her originals were!

But the coolest thing was Tom Hanks inducting the Dave Clark Five. His speech was the absolute best one I have ever heard. He was amazing. Black Preacher-Like in his delivery.

Of course, I would guess that an actor would be able to do an oral presentation better than most singers could - and I would be right!

Lou Reed, as cool as he is, was not so cool inducting Leonard Cohen. Billy Joel was drunk and not at all funny as he inducted Mellencamp. Justin Timberlake was OK inducting Madonna but he seems a little to in love with himself for my taste. Ben Harper was pretty damned cool as he inducted Little Walter and then the musical tribute to him was a rockin' blues fest.

But all in all, it was a good show and I certainly enjoyed it.

I guess I'm starting to get old because I tend to crave the "older" music now. I swore that I would never let that happen because there is so much great "new" music out there. But I guess that music has always been such an integral part of my life that hearing older songs evokes emotions that call up so much stuff that it is just irreplacable in my psyche.

Which would explain why I loved the show last night.

My beautiful, eight year old step daughter always laughs at me because she says I always "watch" music on television. She thinks that is hilarious.

But I can still remember the birth of MTV. Probably the coolest thing I have still ever seen on T.V.

Not so much anymore. You can't even get videos on VHI Classics anymore. It's all shows. But I still love seeing the visual interpretations of the songs that everyone used to do.

Billy Joel joked last night when he asked the crowd if they remembered all the stupid videos that the record companies made them make during the 80's.

Well I certainly remember - and I MISS THEM!

But alas, time marches onward and at least I get to have my Sirius Radio beamed from outer space so I can at least hear music instead of commercials.

So hug your record player today if you still have one. Dig those albums out of the attic and open them up and remember.

But be careful, there still may be some stems and seeds inside of the Zeppelin Houses of the Holy album!

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy Joel was not drunk when he introduced John Mellencamp. But you, obviously, have an anesthesized sense of humor. Joel's speech was hilarious.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I remember when MTV first arrived on the scene and I LOVED IT. Duran Duran was one of my favorites. Of course, I had plans to marry Simon LeBon. Ha!

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home