Tuesday, June 27, 2006

WOW

Warren Buffet gives thirty some odd billion dollars to charity.

Wow.

I have been reading and listening to this story for a week or so since it was revealed and have been, like most people, just hearing it as another news story.

Roadside bombs in Iraq………numb to that one.

Israeli’s clash with Palestinians……….way numb to that one.

General Motors lays off 30,000………..who cares anymore.

But here is a guy, one of the richest men in the world and arguably either the smartest or luckiest investor in the history of betting, giving away all his goodies in the name of humanity.

Is this not an amazing story?

What would Jesus do? I posed that open-ended question in an earlier posting this week. Is this not what we are called to do in this world?

Do you have any idea how inspiring this is to the rest of the world? Do you remember the poor fat Sally Struthers infomercials whereby she said that for 78 cents per day you could make a child’s life better?

All of that is true. These billions of dollars are earmarked for two things – global healthcare and education.

This is remarkable.

We truly now have the resources for someone as smart as Bill Gates to figure out how to eradicate maybe 20 diseases that routinely kill millions of people in underdeveloped countries each year. To give the level of health care needed on a basic level to the world without all the bullshit that goes with our government giving grants.

I am in awe.

And I am also, for the first time, just a little impressed with the human race. So many times I feel like I am a voice in the wilderness proclaiming the acceptable year of the Lord.

How can we be Christians and support the death penalty? How, how, how? There are so many things we do that make no sense to me that I am celebrating this one.

Chalk up one for the good guys.

I hope this will truly inspire others to give. I know we don’t have billions to disperse but every little bit helps. Give to your local church and see how it blesses you.

I love everyone and I want the best for all of us.

Let’s start today……….

1 Comments:

Blogger haahnster said...

I read an op-ed piece the other day in which the author actually had the audacity to write something along the lines of "Great, but he could've done it sooner." I had to laugh that kind of half-hearted, disgusted laugh that says, "Will some people *ever* be satisfied?"

I agree with you that Warren Buffet has done a GREAT thing by giving so much money, and combining it with the Gates foundation, to increase the potential for good. If it inspires others to charitable giving, that will be so much the better.

I can think of nothing bad to say about what Buffet has done.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home